Sculpture Supplies List
by Kelly Borsheim, Artist
This list is in no particular order and I have not necessarily even bought anything from the
sources listed here. This information is only intended as a guide to let you know what's out
there. I appreciate any comments regarding
any of these companies. Thank you for visiting my
P.S. This page got too large.
For a list of bronze-casting foundries, click on
For painting or other 2-dimensional art supplies, booth display equipment and more,
click on www.borsheimarts.com/artsupply.htm.
- Armadillo Clay and Supplies
3307 E. 4th St.
Austin, Texas 78702
- John Reynolds Co.: a Dallas distributor for Chavant, Inc. and other plasitlinas (where I buy mine) and mold making supplies
(my current favorite plastilina is Tan AB-225.)
2206 S. Harwood St.
Dallas, Texas 75215
Phone: 1-800-421-4378 or 214-421-4377
Also (Randy at):
2001 Karbach St., Ste. "V"
Houston, Texas 77092
Phone: 1-888-957-8565 or 713-957-8565
- Western Sculpting Supply: really nice, helpful people
2855 W. 8th Ave.
Denver, Colorado 80204
Phone: 303-623-4407 or toll free 1-800-254-4407; Fax: 303-623-8439
www.Westernsculptingsupply.com e-mail: Westernsculpting@aol.com
- Sculpture Depot: sculpting stands, armatures, and more
418 8th St. SE, Unit B5
Loveland, Colorado 80537
Phone: 970-663-5190 or toll free 1-800-260-4690
- Sculpture House
I am not happy with this company's armatures. They are out of proportion and when I sent them a paper layout describing how (arms come out the neck on the 24" size), they said that I had a point, but would not change the design unless I custom-ordered 50 or more.
So instead, I taught my students how to make their own.
- The Compleat Sculptor, Inc.
90 Vandam St.
New York, New York 10013
Phone: 1-800-972-8578 (1-800-9-SCULPT) or 212-243-6074
- Chavant, Inc.: clay modeling products, including plasteline (oil-based clays) and tools
42 West St.
Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
Phone: 1-800-242-8268 (1-800-CHAVANT) or 908-842-6272
- Douglas and Sturgess, Inc.: all kinds of sculpting supplies (from waxes, foams, & clays to solvents and safety equipment)
730 Bryant Street, San Francisco, California 94107
Phone: 1-888-ART-STUF ; Fax: 1-510-235-4211
Web site: http://artstuf.com
- Sculpture House Casting, Inc.
155 W. 26th. St.
New York City, NY 10001
- The Johnson Atelier full sculpture supply house; expensive sometimes
60 Ward Avenue Extension
Mercerville, New Jersey 08619
Phone: 1-609-890-7777; Fax: 609-890-1816
- Reynolds Advanced Materials: moldmaking supplies
1339 Bennett Drive, Unit 145; Longwood, Florida 32750 (near Orlando)
Phone: (800) 328-8786 or (407) 331-0023; Fax. (407) 331-5387
Web site: www.moldmakingmaterials.com; E-mail: email@example.com
2131 South Harwood St., Dallas, Texas 75215; Tel. (800) 421-4378 or (214) 421-4377; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2001 Karbach St., Suite 5, Houston, Texas 77092; Tel. (888) 957-8565 or (713) 957-8565; Fax: (713) 957-2124; E-mail: email@example.com
- Sunbelt Materials: silicone moldmaking products
9030 Directors Row, Dallas, Texas 75247
Phone: 214.630.8657; Fax: 214.630.8658
Sunbelt Materials stocks the Rhodia line of silicone products.
John creates my molds with Rhodia VI-SIL 1065 (2 part mixture VI-SIL 1065 + VI-SIL Hi-Pro-Blue Catalyst for the print coat.
Then add a thixotropic catalyst for thickening the rubber for subsequent coats.)
- www.smooth-on.com: make some great mold materials
- Polygon Corporation: suppliers of Victory Brown microcrystalline wax for sculpting
P. O. Box 348 or 200 W. Second St.
South Boston, Massachusetts 02127
- Castcraft: sells information about how to make molds and where to get materials (I did buy this information and it appears thorough and useful.)
Memphis, Tennessee 38187-1000
- Polytech Dev. Corp.: rubber
- Porter Warner Industries: microcrystalline waxes, including the brown "sculpting" wax (sometimes called Victory wax). This wax may be mixed with harder or softer waxes depending on the needs of the artist.
- Perfect Touch Modeling & Sculpting Tools: handmade wood and metal-tipped tools for small-scale sculpting in clay, plastiline, and polymer clays
- www.eagerplastics.com: moldmaking
rubber and casting resins
- Hydrospan: a 2-component flexible urethane used for creating enlargements
Tel.: 1+ (800) 766-3832; Outside the United States call: 1+ (713) 943-8451.
- Restoration Preservation Conservation Products: Renaissance wax/polish will protect, restore, refresh, define & enhance furniture, fine art, all metals & precious metals (engraving), jewelry, ivory (scrimshaw), all woods (& wood carving), antiques, knives, automobiles, high-end hardware (copper sinks, etc.), tools, machinery, furniture, sculptor (bronze, etc.), stone (granite, marble, etc. (ie;countertops, statues), firearms, musical instruments, paper, memorabilia, leather, valuables, antiques, collectibles and so much more!
Also: The exclusive U.S. agent/distributor for Picreator Enterprises Ltd. of London, England. Manufacturer of 'Renaissance micro-crystalline wax/polish','Vulpex liquid soap','Pre-Lim surface cleaner','Metal de-corroder','GroomStick archival cleaner'& other unique restoration products used by museums, galleries, professionals, manufacturers, retailers & collectors Worldwide
6819 S.E. Sleepy Hollow Lane
Stuart, Florida 34997-4757
Phone 772-219-0436 ; toll free: [USA] 1-800-229-5530; fax: 772-219-7674
Tel.: 1+ (800) 766-3832; Outside the United States call: 1+ (713) 943-8451
- Better Molds For Less
For a better mold at a lower price call me. Making a quality mold for you will be my priority. Your mold will be completed quickly and efficiently with the care and attention of a professional. For larger, hard to transport sculptures, I will come to your studio and make the mold at no extra cost. You may have loyalty to your foundry and I respect that, but it all comes down to your bottom line.
Get more for less and stop over paying for your molds.
- Sure Form Prototyping LLC
15421 Del Monte Farms Road
Castroville, CA 95012
Web site: www.sureformprototyping.com ; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stone Suppliers Directory: a list by state of quarries and stone distributors; be forewarned--this site has that horrid white-type-on-black-background that gives this sculptor an eye ache!
- Colorado Yule Marble (Sierra Minerals Corporation)
Beautiful Stone and good people!
6164 South Newport St., Suite 2000
Centennial, Colorado 80111
Tel.: (303) 771-9610; Fax: (303) 771-9652
Web site: http://www.polycor.com/
NOTE: Sierra Minerals Corp. was bought out by Georgia Marble in 2004.
- Continental Cut Stone, Inc.
P. O. Box 37
Florence, Texas 76527
Tel. 254-793-2329; Fax: 254-793-2358
Contact: Robert Teel, President; Joan Caskey, Office Manager
Web site: www.continentalcutstone.com
Note: fabricators of cut limestone (primarily for architecture); the "boneyard" is a great place for selecting stone for sculpture bases. Also, some smaller blocks (up to 2000 pounds) laying around the boneyard in Florence. You might call ahead if you need a specific size as the quarry is in Leuters, Texas, a couple of hours away.
Myles Schachter (aka Myles Mountain)
P. O. Box 3777
Lawrence, Kansas 66046-0777 (USA)
Tel. (785) 838-3885
Web site: www.2sculpt.com
Myles is really helpful and carries an interesting variety of stone, as well as the Italian pneumatic hammers and chisels.
- Colorado Alabaster Supply
I bought some pink and white alabaster from Stan Jones and got a wonderful education about the qualities of alabaster from him. Highly recommended!
1507 North College Ave.
Ft. Collins, Colorado
- Utah Alabaster Supply it looks as though they have lots of rich colors available.
288 North 300 West
Cedar City, Utah 84720
E-mail: email@example.com Site: www.utahalabastersupply.net
Rusty and Susan Galetka
- Neolithic Stone
A Canadian company that says it will soon open a branch in Oregon, USA. Check out the Web site for plenty of images of stone types to help you choose.
Contact Randy at (604) 736-5201
See stone samples at: www.neolithicstone.com
- Georgia Marble
Web site: www.georgiamarble.com
- Renaissance Stone Sculpture Studio and Gallery
Sorry, but they claim no mail orders or shipping available.
751 Moorpark St.
Oakland, California 94603
- Art City Studios: stone carving supplies
197 Dubbers Street
Ventura, California 93001
Phone: 1-800-490-0746 or 805-648-1690; Fax 805-642-1295
www.artcitystudios.com; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tennessee Marble Company
Specializing in pink and red stones
343 West Vinegar Road * Post Office Box 249
Friendsville, TN 37737
- Stone Sculptors Supplies & Studio
P.O. Box 27656
San Diego, CA 92128-1656
Sales Room/Studio (by appointment): 2534-E East Washington Ave., Escondido, CA 92027
- Stoneman Distributors: Supplier of Brazilian, Canadian Soapstone. Black Soapstone, serpentine, white and pink alabaster. Tools, Carving Kits, Located in London Ontario
Unit 1 - 79 Bessemer Rd.
London Ontario N6E 1P9
Web site: www.stoneman.ca; E-mail: email@example.com
- Victor Marble Co., Inc.
3433 Walnut St.
Denver, Colorado 80205
- Utah Alabaster Supply
288 North 300 West
Cedar City, Utah 84720
Phone: 435-865-0118 or 435-559-0234
- Smith Camp Alabaster -- Cody Bell
Rt. 1, Box 96
Turkey, Texas 79261
Phone: 806-423-1276 or 806-346-7566
- Flatlanders Sculpture Supply: has an art gallery, sells stone and sculpture tools
11993 East US-223
Blissfield, Michigan 49228
Tel. 517-486-4591 (other possible number = 800-234-4591); Fax. (517) 486-2249
Ken Thompson, owner; Debra Dickens, Gallery Director/ Flatlanders Art Galleries:
Web site: www.flatlandersculpture.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rossini Marble: appears to be more commercially oriented (vs. fine art) in that they supply slabs for countertops and tiles
3216 NW 79th Ave.
Miami, Florida 33122
Phone: 888-716-8878 or 305-716-8878
- Eastern Marble & Granite Supply
- Stone Resources (worldwide): from Learningstone.net
This resource pages looks tremendous! (And does not repeat links on this page.)
- Sunrise Mine Enterprises
Contact: Pete Incardona (Pete the Miner)
Note: specializes in Arizona Marble, Onyx, Travertine, and Limestone; exclusive dealer of Connemara Irish Marble
- Joseph McAnney -- Endless Circle
P. O. Box 817
Congress, Arizona 85332
Note: Joseph is a lapidarist who has worked with marbles and hard stones, creating spheres, cabachons, and bookends, as well as pedestals and bases;
working with Sunrise Mines (above)
- Crescent Stone Company
Toll free Tel. 888-400-0094
We are a new natural stone producer for the trades. We have Stromatolite Stone which has the fossilized earliest life form on earth embedded in it. This product is one of many various stone products, such as Mica which has the colors of sunsets. The stromatolite is highly sought after as a collectable object, I feel that if it were carved it will fetch a good price adding to what the artist gives to the sculpture. This organism created the first oxygen on earth, without it we would not be here. We have the ability to cut blocks to your specs, if interested contact above.
Sincerely, Steve DeLong
- Lynn Bartlett -- Sierra Hill Stone:
alabaster and soapstone
- Alpine Gems and Minerals:
one of the largest and oldest wholesale suppliers of high quality rough stone for artistic projects in the United States.
Tel. 435.477.3350 office; 435.592.5536 sales
E-mail: Arjean Lamoreaux email@example.com
We mine all of our own stone, from mines we own, and all of the colors are natural as they come from the mine. We also sell lapidary materials including obsidians and agates. We only supply rough stone, nothing else. We offer volume discounts. You save by buying direct from the mine.
- Trow & Holden: stone sculpture supplies (where I buy my chisels when not buying locally)
45 South Main St.
Barre, VT 05641
Phone: 1-800-451-4349; Fax: 802-476-7025
- Carbide Connection: I love their carbide burrs! Fast service and great prices, too.
P. O. Box 337 or 16 Riverdale Avenue
Oakdale, New York 11769
Tel. 1-888-353-5865; Fax: 1-877-352-7876
- McMaster-Carr: an industrial supply company
They have locations across the US (John & I use the Chicago address). I could not find a toll free number, so visit their Website at: www.mcmaster.com, click on "About Us" on the top bar and then in the left frame, "Contact US" to find the location nearest you. I would call for a catalog--their online catalog is simply scanned pages of the real thing. It is small and difficult to read.
- Cooper Power Tools: "Buckeye/Dotco Material Removal Tools"
Grinders, Sanders, Drills, Buffers, Nibblers, Saws, Routers & Chamfering Tools
P. O. Box 1410
Lexington, South Carolina 29072
Phone: I could not find a phone on the catalog I picked up at the Loveland Sculpture Shows. So either the catalog came from a distributor who did not attach contact info. or the catalog was not designed to sell anything. Even the seminar listing on the back page just said "Contact Cooper Power Tools."
- 2 Sculpt: stone carving supplies (limited, but appears to be good prices)
Phone: 1-(785) 838-3885
http://2sculpt.com; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sculpture (Bronze & Stone) Finishing Supplies:
|Back to Top of Page|
- www.stoneuniversity.com: learn stone restoration without leaving your home
online course from Fred Hueston - 8 week program
Tel. 828.301.9796 (USA)
- A Cut Above: I have bought 3" flexible back pads with various abrasives for rough sanding with my die grinder. I also bought some diamond handpads. They also supply carbide burrs, quality die grinders, wet diamond core bits (for drilling holes through marble) and so many cool things.
16512 Arminta Street
Van Nuys, California 91406
Telephone: 1-800-444-2999 (toll free), 818-988-1831; Fax: 818-988-2799
Contact: Gary Lerner (VP & owner; very helpful to me and considerate of my budget)
- Worldwide Abrasives: sanding discs
1521 6th Ave. North, Ste. B
Lewiston, ID 83501
- www.sculptnouveau.com: in California
Patineur Ron Young's Web site on patina recipes and supplies (see also my artbooks page for Patrick Kipper's book on patinas)
- Uni Marble Bases:
5182 Brook Hollow Parkway, Suite H
Norcross, Georgia 30071
Tel.: 1 888-534-2098; 770-446-9699; Fax: 888-282-2401; 770-448-1298
www.marblebases.com; E-mail: email@example.com
- The Base Shop, Inc.: wood and stone sculpture bases and pedestals
418 Eighth St. S.E., Unit A2
Loveland, Colorado 80537
Phone: 970-593-0305; Fax: 970-593-9344
- Richard's Cabinets and Woodworking: hand-made wooden bases and pedestals with illuminated turntables.
121 Peninsula Drive, Carriere, Mississippi 39426
Contact: Richard Mole
- Lionel Hastings & Company: marble bases, pedestals, bowls, balls, and more
P. O. Box 1148, McGill, Nevada 89318
- Stonwurks Inc.: Strata Panels™ are thin 3/16"cut natural stone laminated to 3/4" or 1/2" fiberglass faced honeycomb aluminum backing and are manufactured from virtually any stone available.
P. O. Box 144; 615 W. Crawford
Clay Center, Kansas 67432-0144
Telephone: (785) 632-5687 / Fax: (785) 632-6093 / Toll Free: 888-884-7881
- Precision Pedestals: looks like top-of-the-line pedestals
Phone: Bill Houck 480-363-6187 or Keith Christopher 480-213-5842
- Maestro Pedestals: lots of choices in pedestals
613 Martin Ave., Ste. 103
Rohnert PArk, CA 94928
Phone: 1-800-765-5116 or 707-588-2910
- Master Art Pedestals: lots of choices in pedestals
17415 Meadow View Drive
Middletown, California 95461
Phone: 1-800-675-5067 or 707-987-2048
- Pockett's Marble: marble bases
37 Cain Street
Proctor, Vermont 05765
Contact: Linda Pockett, Tel. or Fax 802-459-3512; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sculpture Bases
- Sculpture Bases II
- Sculpture Bases III
- Signs By Gwynn: Brass Picture Name Plates (labels for sculpture and paintings)
816 Travis St. (P. O. Box 788)
Wichita Falls, Texas 76307
Phone: 1-940-322-2565; Fax: 940-322-7440
Miscellaneous Sculpture Supplies & Services:
|Back to Top of Page|
- www.freedom-of-teach.com: anatomy figures -- look cool and useful -- and instructional DVDs and more. Tel. USA 510.769.1828
- American Science & Surplus: The Austin Sculpture Center bought a life-size plastic skeleton for about $300 (item # 88824). (It was not bad -- just needed a few alterations and I could use it to teach anatomy.)
P. O. Box 1030
Skokie, Illinois 60076
Web site: www.sciplus.com
- www.labwarehouse.com: potentially another supplier of anatomical models
- http://www.medmarketplace.com: we supply anatomical models.
- www.sideshowtoy.com: like mannequins? look for the male and female 12-inch Art S. Buck-brand artist's models.
- Texas Art Supply mostly paint supplies
2001 Montrose Blvd. (+2 other Houston locations)
Houston, TX 77006
Phone: (713) 526-5221
One viewer contributed that this store carries "a complete supply of metallic powders", such as used on faux metal patinas on artworks in terra-cotta. Thanks for the tip, Robert!
- RGA Trucking: Sculpture, molds, etc. delivery service
2231 N.W. 49th St.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73112
Phone: 405-834-8811; Fax: 405-810-9362
Contact Richard G. Allen, owner; E-mail: email@example.com
Other Sculpture Resource Sites:
Back to Links Page: featuring other sculpture, painting, and art-in-general links,
as well as links to other interesting and useful sites.
Back to Artist Resource Page
Paintings/ 2-D / Murals |
Price List |
Copyright © 1996-2007 Kelly Borsheim
All Rights Reserved